Fuji XF 50-140mm f/2.8 R LM OIS WR reviews roundup: is it worth the price?
Released in 2014, the Fuji XF 50-140mm f/2.8 is a premium telephoto zoom lens for Fujifilm mirrorless cameras. It’s very versatile and has a constant aperture of f/2.8. Thanks to its advanced stabilization, it’s an essential lens for photographers who need a bright zoom lens for events and sports photography, but it works great also for landscape photography.
- Mount: Fujifilm X-mount
- Full-frame equivalent: 76-213mm
- Optical stabilization: Yes
- Weather sealed: Yes
- Weight: 995 grams
- Min. aperture: f/2.8
- Max. aperture: f/22
- Minimum focus distance: 100cm
- Filter size: 72mm
- Equivalent to 15-36 mm (35mm format) - angle of view: 110° - 61.2°
- Minimum working distance of 0.24 m, Focal Length : 10-24 mm
- Constant f:4 aperture throughout entire zoom range, OIS (built-in Optical Image Stabilisation)
What do the critics think of the Fuji XF 50-140mm f/2.8?
Overall, most reviews on the web say that the Fuji XF 50-140mm f/2.8 is a great lens for the Fuji mirorless system: it has excellent optics and a superior build quality. Its optical image stabilization works great and helps capturing sharper images at lower shutter speeds.
The main negative points that come up most often are its size and weight, and its price which is targeted to professionals or serious photography enthusiasts. If you think it’s worth the investment, then don’t hesitate and get this 50-140!
If you are new to the Fujifilm system, maybe it’s better to wait and get the Fuji 55-200mm first. You’ll save 1000$ dollars that you can use to buy one or two more lenses.
Most reviews like…
- Constant aperture
- Weather-sealed and solid build
- Low CA and distortion
- Very pleasing bokeh
- Image stabilization is fantastic
- Autofocus is silent, fast and accurate in good light conditions
- Excellent image quality throughout the zoom range (superb sharpness )
Most reviews don’t like…
- Expensive lens
- Size and weight (quite big for Fujifilm mirorless cameras… but still significantly lower than full-frame equivalents)
- Autofocus can sometime hunt in low light
- Manual focus ring is too tight
For more infos about the positive and negatives sides of the Fuji XF 50-140mm f/2.8, check out the selection of reviews below:
- Pcmag.com – ✪✪✪✪½ Excellent (‘For the well-heeled photographer, the 50-140mm delivers stellar performance, and earns Editors’ Choice honors‘)
- Photographyblog.com – ★★★★½ Highly Recommended – (‘Image quality is fantastic throughout the zoom range both at the centre and edges of the frame, with excellent sharpness at almost all available apertures.‘)
- Thephoblographer.com – 5/5 (Editor’s Choice Award)
- Ephotozine.com – ✪✪✪✪✪ Editor’s Choice (‘Although it may seem expensive at first glance, Fujifilm have created a lens capable of delivering image quality of the highest order, that is robustly built, lightweight, weather resistant and that focuses quickly to boot.‘)
Amazon users reviews
- Equivalent to 76mm to 214mm;Internal focus
- Focal Length : 50-140 mm
- Focus range : Normal : 1m - ∞ (whole zoom position), Macro : 1m - 3m (whole zoom position)