Fuji XF 16-55mm F2.8 LM WR reviews roundup: is it worth the price?
Released in 2015, the Fuji XF 16-55mm f/2.8 LM WR is a standard zoom lens designed for Fujifilm mirrorless cameras.
It’s equivalent to a 24mm-84mm on a full frame camera and has a constant aperture of f/2.8 over the entire focal range.
- Mount: Fujifilm X
- Full frame eq.: 24-84mm
- Optical stabilization: No
- Weather sealed: Yes
- Weight: 655 g (1.44 lb)
- Min. aperture: f/2.8
- Max. aperture: f/22
- Minimum focus distance: 0.60 m
- Filter size: 77mm
- Price: check on Amazon
What do the critics think of the Fuji XF 16-55mm f/2.8 LM WR?
Overall, most reviews on the web say that the Fuji XF 16-55mm f/2.8 is a very good all-around lens, with a fantastic optical quality and a focal range that can handle a wide range of shooting situations, from wide angle to portraits.
The main negative points that come up most often are the absence of optical stabilization and its weight.
Most reviews like…
- Exemplary build quality with good weather sealing
- Focal range versatility
- Constant aperture of f/2.8
- Excellent optical quality with sharpness and beautiful color rendition
- Low CA, distortion and vignetting
- Fast and quiet focusing
Most reviews don’t like…
- Lack of optical stabilization (you’ll need a stabilized Fuji camera)
- Quite large and heavy for an APS-C lens
- Some barrel distortion at 16mm
- Corners not sharp at 16mm
For more infos about the positive and negatives sides of the Fuji XF 16-55mm f/2.8 LM WR, check out the selection of reviews below:
Photographylife.com –4.3/5 (‘Enthusiasts and professionals who switched to the Fuji X system will be happy to own this lens, because it simply offers uncompromising performance.’)
Photographyblog.com – ★★★★½ Highly recommended (‘It may be big, lack OIS, have an eye-watering price-tag and face strong competition from Fujifilm’s other standard zoom lens, but if you need the constant f/2.8 aperture, the versatility of a zoom and most of all the superlative image quality, then we can highly recommend the new Fujifilm XF 16-55mm f/2.8 R LM WR lens.’)
Thephoblographer.com – 4/5 – (‘The Fujifilm 16-55mm f2.8 LM WR is an exceptional lens in pretty much every way when it comes to the image quality. The lens is sharp–sharper than most of the company’s primes in fact. It also gives us great bokeh, excellent colors and everything that a photographer could ask for including weather sealing. But where we felt that it was a bit too much has to do with the ergonomics.’)
Ephotozine.com – ✪✪✪✪½ Highly Recommended – (‘Optically, this standard zoom from Fujifilm is up there with the best f/2.8 zooms available for APS-C format cameras. It is capable of delivering excellent sharpness, with low CA and distortion. More importantly, it handles well, and features such as weather sealing and the Nano-GI coatings applied to this lens ensure it is capable of holding its own amongst the best zoom lenses currently available.’)
Trustedreviews.com – 5/5 (‘My only criticism of the lens would be the omission of optical stabilisation, but in its absence we get incredible image quality and sharpness that many users will consider to be the imperative lens attributes, making it a worthy trade-off.’)
Amazon users reviews
- Optically designed to draw out the maximum image quality of a flagship standard zoom lens Angle of view 83 2°- 29°
- Focal length(35mm format equivalent) f=16-55mm (24-84mm) Focus range Normal - 0 6m - ∞(whole zoom position) Macro - 30cm - 10m (Wide) 40cm - 10m (Telephoto)
- High-speed quiet auto focus thanks to the Linear Motor Weight excluding caps and hoods 1 44 pounds(655g)