WHAT TO DO IN KRABI?
Krabi is a beautiful province of Thailand, renowned for its natural attractions and lush national parks, with caves that house temples and monasteries, waterfalls, karst cliffs where you can climb, fine postcard beaches and coral reefs where you can dive. It has more than 150 islands, including Koh Phi Phi Phi and Koh Lanta (Koh means island in Thai).
Here are a few things to know before going to Krabi:
- Krabi refers to both the Province of Krabi and the coastal city of Krabi (Krabi Town).
- There are no beaches in Krabi Town, most visitors only pass through it before reaching the surrounding islands or beaches such as Ao Nang and Railay. Nevertheless, Krabi is a quiet and pleasant place and it is worth spending a night or two there.
- I recommend that you stay in Ao Nang instead. A minivan from Krabi airport takes about 40 minutes to drive. From Ao Nang you can reach the beautiful beaches of Railey and Phra Nang in a few minutes by long tail boat.
- Kho Phi Phi Phi is easily accessible by ferry from Krabi town (2 hours boat trip).
Where is Krabi? Krabi province is located on the southwest coast of Thailand about 820 km from the capital, Bangkok, a two-hour drive from Phuket and by the Andaman Sea.
When to go to Krabi? The best time to visit Krabi is from November to April, when the temperatures are coolest. Be careful, it is also the high tourist season, and often the hotels will be full. It is better to avoid the period from June to November because it rains a lot.
How to get to Krabi from Bangkok? Four flights arrive from Bangkok every day, there are also flights from Koh Samui, Kuala Lumpur and Singapore. Krabi doesn’t have a station. Most travellers travel to Surat Thani and Hat Yai and then take a bus to Krabi. In Krabi, buses arrive from Talat kao bus station, about 5 km north of the city and about 20 km from Ao Nang.
This selection may be useful in planning an itinerary and organizing your trip to Krabi, giving you a taste of the best things to do and places to visit.
Here are 10 best things to do and see during a trip to Krabi
1. Tiger Cave Temple (Wat Tham Suea)
Located at the top of a mountain 8 km from downtown Krabi Town, this temple is built in a limestone cave in the middle of the forest. To reach it you have to climb 1237 steps. From above, you can enjoy a 360° view of the surroundings. Go early in the morning and don’t forget to dress properly (cover your legs and shoulders).
2. Do rock climbing
Krabi is renowned worldwide for its climbing spots, accessible to beginners and experienced climbers alike. For a good dose of adrenaline it is also possible to climb without being tied but above the water, landing in the sea if you fall (Cliff climbing).
3. Take an excursion to the islands
One of the most popular excursions in Krabi is the Krabi Four Islands Tour, which will take you on a long tail boat to four islands for snorkeling and relaxing in the sun. A stop at Phra Nang Beach is included. The islands visited are Turtle Island (Koh Poda), Chicken Island (Koh Kai), Tup Island (Koh Tup) and Mor Island (Koh Mor). A sandbar connects Chicken Island and Tup Island.
Other possible excursions: Koh Hong and the islands of the Mu Hong Archipelago (to see the lagoon of Koh Hong, Daeng Island, Laoling Island). As these islands are located in Than Bok Khorani Maritime National Park, an additional 300 Baths must be paid (not included in the price of the excursion).
4. Wat Kaew temple
Located in Krabi Town at the top of a small hill, it is one of the city’s main temples, of relatively recent construction. Admission is free and it’s worth a look.
5. Phra Nang and Railey beaches
Both locations are easily accessible from Ao Nang by longtailboat. In Railey, you can spend a day swimming, observing nature, exploring a few caves, kayaking… there is also a viewpoint and a hidden lagoon (take a pair of trainers). There are some restaurants and hotels. From Railey, you can also walk to Phra Nang Beach and Tonsai Bay (through the jungle, watch out for mosquitoes!).
Phra Nang is one of the ten most beautiful beaches in the world. At the end is a cave where fishermen come to deposit wooden phallus. Just next to the cave it is possible to climb.
6. Tab Kak Hang Nak Hill Nature Trail
The most beautiful hike in Krabi, to enjoy a magnificent view of the region. Very physical, bring a pair of basketball shoes and a big bottle of water! Photos can be taken on a small stone tongue that protrudes from the cliff. Admission is free.
7. Kho Lanta island
One of the most beautiful islands in Krabi province, you can spend a few days diving, exploring the island by scooter and relaxing.
8. Khao Kanap Nam mountains
Next to Krabi Town: two limestone massifs 100 metres high located opposite each other, easily recognizable. They are accessible by long tail boat in 15 minutes from Khong Kha pier. Prehistoric paintings and caves can be seen there.
9. Do scuba diving
You will find agencies in Krabi Town and Ao Nang, but the most beautiful spots are near the Phi Phi Islands or south of Kho Lanta (the Hin Muang and Hin daeng spots in particular).
10. Take an excursion to Kho Phi Phi Phi
It is possible to make a day trip to visit the Phi Phi Phi Islands (two hours by Krabi ferry) but honestly the ideal is to stay two or three nights on Kho Phi Phi Phi Don to enjoy it well. From Phi Phi Phi Don you can make excursions to the surrounding islands and dive (superb spots).
MORE THINGS TO SEE AND DO ALSO IN KRABI
If you have some time in Krabi, here are some other activities to do and places to visit:
- In Krabi town: The Museum of Contemporary Art in Krabi (open from 10:00 to 17:00)
- In Krabi town: the former warship HMS Lanta, which now serves as a museum (located near the port)
- Kayaking excursion in Tha lane Bay
- Day trip to discover Pha Nga Bay and James Bond Island
- Khao Phanom Bencha National Park: 30km north of Krabi. Waterfalls, caves….
- Emerald Pool (Thung Teao Forest Natural Park): far from Krabi, far too many people… admission fee: 200 Bath. I don’t really recommend going, but if you happen to be in the area, why not take a look?
- Make a bike trip: Bike trips (mountain bike or racing bike) are organized by Krabi Eco Cycle (recommended by Lonely Planet).
PLACES TO SEE IN KRABI ON GOOGLE MAP