Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM reviews roundup: is it worth the price?
Developed specifically for the new RF mount and optimized for the new mirrorless cameras from Canon, the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM is standard zoom that can be used in many situation thanks to its its constant aperture of f/2. It’s a huge lens and its dimensions seem disproportionate when mounted on an EOS R or RP.
Like other RF lenses, it has a configurable control ring that can be set to adjust aperture, exposure, ISO sensitivity or exposure compensation.
- Weather sealed
- Weight: 1,430 kg
- Min. aperture: f/2
- Max. aperture: f/22
- Minimum focus distance: 39cm
- Stabilisation: no
- Filter size: 95 mm
- Lens hood, case, front and back cover included in the box
What do the critics think of the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM?
Most reviews on the web agree that the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2 is a pro lens which offers an extraordinary image quality, with an exceptional sharpness and low levels of distortion. Even though it’s heavy and cumbersome, it’s like having a prime lens at every focal lenght between 28 and 70mm.
Too bad it’s not a 24-70mm, a slightly more open angle of view would have been more useful.
The built quality is fantastic, with a black satin coating. Note that the lens extend when you zoom in.
If the price seems too high for you, a cheaper, smaller and lighter but still excellent alternative would be to get the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM with an adapter.
Most reviews like…
- Stunning image quality on all the focal lenght
- Constant opening of f/2
- Weather sealed
- Great built quality
Most reviews don’t like…
- Size & Weight (handling is not easy)
- No stabilisation (hunt a little bit in low light)
- Not silent when focusing (so not great for videos unless you use it with a microphone or for B-roll)
- Not as wide as a 24-70mm…
For more infos about the positive and negatives sides of the Canon RF 28-70mm f/2L USM, check out the selection of reviews below:
- Digitalcameraworld.com – ★★★★½ (‘can rival three or four separate prime lenses’)
- Photographyblog.com – ★★★★½ (Highly recommended)
- Cameralabs.com – ‘a truly exotic lens‘
- Stevehuffphoto.com – ‘I would recommend this lens for wedding pros, portrait pros or those who just want a buttery smooth lens with outstanding color, detail, bokeh and contrast.‘
- Jared Polin – ‘for the full time pros out there who demand the best of the best, this will fit nicely in your bag.’ ‘great for low light situation’
- Camerahoarders – ‘Optically it is great but the size and weight don’t make it much fun to use’
- Tony & Chelsea Northrup – ‘Ultra -pro lens… but where’s the pro body?’