Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM reviews roundup: is it worth the price?
Released in June 2019, the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM is a lens developed specifically for the new RF mount and is optimized for the new mirrorless cameras from Canon, the Eos RP and the Eos R. It’s mostly suitable for studio photographers, weddings or portraits who’ll need a very bright lens which can deliver a breathtaking image quality.
- Dust and splash protection
- Weight: 1195g
- Min. aperture: f/1.2
- Max. aperture: f/16
- Minimum focus distance: 0,85m
- Filter size: 82 mm
- Only two buttons on the lens: AF / MF and a limiter
- There’s a control ring which can be set to adjust aperture, exposure, ISO sensitivity or exposure compensation
- Lens hood, case, front and back cover included in the box
- High image quality and bright f/1.2 aperture L lens for EOS R System cameras.
- Blue spectrum refractive optics (br) Reduces chromatic aberration.
- Minimum focusing distance of 2.79 ft. /0.85M.
What do the critics think of the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM?
Most reviews on the web say that the RF 85mm f/1.2 offers a stuning image quality and is among the best lenses for portraits and wedding shooters, if you can afford it and don’t mind its weight and size. It’s a HUGE lens, so I guess it’s not really for travel photography unless you like to workout. That said, if you’re a photography professional and you own one of Canon’s new mirrorless cameras, the RF 85mm f/1.2 offers an unprecedented image quality.
If the price seems too high for you, a cheaper but still excellent alternative would be to get the EF 85mm IS 1.4L with an adapter for EOS R / RP.
Most reviews like…
- Unmatched optical performance, with a spectacular bokeh
- Fast autofocus
- Build quality is excellent (resistant and waterproof construction)
Most reviews don’t like…
- The price: super expensive!
- No image stabilisation (but that’s not a big problem with an f/1.2 lens)
- The weight (1195g) and size. You’ll also need to use 82mm filters.
For more infos about the positive and negatives sides of the Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM, check out the selection of reviews below (there are not so many reviews so far):
- Digitalcameraworld.com – ★★★★½ (‘the perfect portrait lens’)
- Kenrockwell.com – ‘the world’s most advanced 85/1.2‘
- Photographytalk.com – ‘If you’re a portrait photographer, this lens is for you.‘
- Artaius – ‘The Canon RF 85mm f/1.2L USM is worth every penny‘
- Shayne Robinson – ‘The new “King of Bokeh”‘
- Derek Ting – ‘An amazing lens‘