Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM reviews roundup: is it worth the price?
Released in october 2018, the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM is a lens developed specifically for the new RF mount and is optimized for the new mirrorless cameras from Canon, the Eos RP and the Eos R. This lens is part of the L series characterized by careful manufacturing and protection against bad weather and dust.
It’s versatile focal length and shallow depth of field is suitable for weddings or portraits photographers who’ll need a very bright lens which can deliver a breathtaking image quality.
Like other RF lenses from Canon, the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM has a customisable control ring integrated to adjust shutter speed, ISO, aperture…
- Weight: 950g (2.09 lb)
- Min. aperture: f/1.2
- Max. aperture: f/16
- Mount: Canon RF (full frame)
- Minimum focus distance: 40 cm
- Filter size: 77 mm
- Lens hood, case, front and back cover included in the box
- Fixed focal length, Lens with high image quality and bright f/1.2 aperture for the EOS R system
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.31 ft. /0.40M. Filter Size: 77mm
- A control ring for direct setting changes
What do the critics think of the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM?
Most reviews on the web say that the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM is another great RF lens with a nice design, an amazing depth of field thanks to its extra-bright aperture and a fast autofocus.
However, it’s not perfect: this RF 50mm f/1.2L USM is heavy, and suffers from an annoying vignetting at f/1.2 even if the significant darkening of the angles is well corrected by the camera, but this phenomenon remains visible.
The price seems expensive but it’s a pro lens, which will make more sense when Canon will release pro mirrorless bodies in the future.
If the price seems too high for you, a cheaper but still excellent alternative would be to get the Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM with an adapter for EOS R / RP (the autofocus will be much slower though).
Most reviews like…
- Very, very sharp lens
- Very bright aperture (and beautiful bokeh)
- Weather resistant (dust and splash protection)
- Excellent build quality, with a smooth and satin black finish
- No distorsion
- Control ring is useful
- Pretty fast autofocus even in low light situation
Most reviews don’t like…
- No image stabilization
- Shows significant vignetting at full aperture
- Autofocus is noisy (not ideal for video)
- Hefty price
- Bulky and heavy (for a 50mm)
For more infos about the positive and negatives sides of the Canon RF 50mm f/1.2L USM, check out the selection of reviews below:
- Photographyblog.com – ★★★★½ (‘Easily one of the best 50mm lenses that we’ve ever reviewed, from any brand, but it’s also one of the biggest and most expensive too’)
- Digitalcameraworld.com – ★★★★½ (‘A monster performer, with a price and weight to match, this Canon EOS R companion easily earns its red ring’)
- Pcmag.com – 4½/5 (Excellent)
- Thephoblographer.com – 5/5 (Editor’s Choice Award)
- Photographylife.com – ★★★★½ (‘one of the best standard prime lenses around, but its high price tag and size will undoubtedly put some photographers off’)
- Tony & Chelsea Northrup – AMAZING, but one BIG problem…
- Jared Polin – BEST CANON 50mm Lens EVER!
- The daniel life – A must have RF lens!