WHAT ARE THE BEST THINGS TO DO AND SEE IN HO CHI MINH CITY?
Autrefois appellée Saigon, Ho Chi Minh City est une ville à l’atmosphère frénétique située au bord de la rivière Saigon, dans le Sud du pays, non loin du delta du Mékong. Au premier abord, elle fait un peu penser à une mini Bangkok par son dynamisme et ses immeubles ultra modernes. En tout cas, elle est très différente de Hanoi, au Nord du Vietnam. On peut toujours y sentir l’influence coloniale française, en particulier dans l’architecture de certains bâtiments, ce qui lui donne un certain charme. Bien plus agréable à visiter que Hanoi, elle possède quelques sites touristiques intéressants qui mérite bien qu’on y reste deux ou trois jours pour bien explorer la ville.
Cette sélection pourra vous être utile pour préparer un itinéraire et organiser votre voyage à Ho Chi Minh City, en vous donnant un avant-goût des ses sites touristiques incontournables ainsi que les activités à faire absolument.
- Book your hotel in Ho Chi Minh City now on Booking.com
Here are 10 must-see things to do and see on a trip to Ho Chi Minh City:
1. THE REUNIFICATION PALACE
The former official residence of the presidents of South Vietnam. There are beautiful reception rooms, a cinema, a bunker and a communications centre in the basement. The place is truly reminiscent of a spy movie setting from the 70s, and it looks like we’ll see OSS 117 or James Bond during the visit. Don’t miss it in Ho Chi Minh City.
- Admission price: 40000 VND
- Open daily from 7:30 to 11:00 then 13:00 to 16:00
2. BEN THANH’S MARKET
A covered market where you can find everything for less if you negotiate prices. We can go there to eat in one of the many street food stands. Also worth seeing is Binh Tay Market (also known as Cholon Chinatown Market), located in the city’s Chinatown district. Interesting for the historical and cultural aspect, and discover the local life.
3. THE CENTRAL POST OFFICE
A beautiful building located in front of Notre-Dame de Saigon Cathedral. The interior is worth a look for its beautiful colonial architecture and the old maps of Vietnam painted on the walls. Admission is free.
4. NGUYEN HUE STREET (HO CHI MINH SQUARE)
A beautiful esplanade located between the town hall and the port, where you can walk quietly in the evening because it’s closed to traffic. It’s bordered by many hotels, shops and cafés. To do: have a drink on a terrace overlooking the esplanade and enjoy the street show.
5. THE WAR REMNANTS MUSEUM
A must-see museum in Ho Chi Minh City, which presents the brutality of the Vietnam War. Avoid taking young children there because some photos are quite shocking, especially those about Agent Orange…. We come out quite shaken, but it’s still very interesting and allows us to discover the work of war photographers.
- Admission price: 15000 VND
- Open daily from 7:30 to 11:00 then 13:00 to 17:00
6. THE BITEXCO FINANCIAL TOWER
Impossible to miss, this 262-metre tower has a panoramic terrace that offers an exceptional 360° view of Ho Chi Minh City (the Skydeck Saigon). You can also go to the 50th floor café via the shopping centre to enjoy the view (drinks at the same price as the entrance to the Skydeck but with less space to move around). There are other rooftop bars from which to admire a view from above: the Air 360 Sky Lounge, the Breeze Sky Bar, the Glow Sky Bar, the Chill Sky Bar, the Rex Rooftop Garden or the 23rd floor of the Sheraton Saigon Hotel.
7. THE FITO MUSEUM
An exciting museum dedicated to traditional Vietnamese medicine. We discover old vials, vials, ingredients, books… For lovers of traditional medicine but it’s worth seeing especially for the beautiful typical wooden house that houses the museum.
- Admission price: 120000 VND.
- Open daily from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.
8. THE PAGODA OF THE JADE EMPEROR
Dedicated to the Emperor of Jade, the Taoist god, this popular pagoda was built in 1909 by the Chinese community. The atmosphere is special, with the many incense sticks lit as offerings to the deities. You can see a turtle pond there. Do not miss the rooms adjacent to the main room, interesting to visit. Access to the Pagoda is free of charge.
9. THE MUSEUM OF VIETNAMESE HISTORY
Located in a superb setting, this museum presents the different periods of Vietnamese history, from prehistory to the present day. You can discover beautiful pieces, such as magnificent Cham sculptures and Khmer pieces from Angkor Wat. Very informative to better understand the history of this country.
- Admission price: 15000 VND
- Open every day except Monday from 08:00-11:30 then 13:30-17:00
10. SAIGON’S OPERA
Located not far from the town hall, this beautiful building, renovated several times, was built in 1900 and is inspired by the Petit Palais in Paris. You can take advantage of a show at the A O Show to discover the interior (bring a sweater because of the air conditioning).
- Ticket reservations here (from 630000 VND)
MORE THINGS TO DO AND SEE IN HO CHI MINH CITY AND ITS THE SURROUNDINGS
- Day trip to visit of the Cu Chi tunnels
- Day trip to discover the Mekong Delta
- The backpacker district of Bui Vien Street: to party, eat, organize your trip, it’s the Vietnamese equivalent of Khao San Road. Many travel agencies and cheap hotels.
- The Starlight Bridge: a pretty bridge lit at night
- See a puppet show on the water at the Golden Dragon Water Puppet Theater (also available in Hanoi)
- Take a scooter tour of the city
- The South Vietnamese Women’s Museum
- The beautiful Chinese temple Thiên Hậu
- If you like to party check the Saigon Soul Pool Party